Tuesday, September 8, 2009

One more day ahead!

I am sitting in the Shattuck study lounge, thinking to myself how I don't have any academic responsibilities as of yet. I have no subjects to study, and quite a few of us in my group think it's weird not being in class like everyone else on campus.

However, we did have meetings from 8 am to 5:30 pm (with breaks, of course), and I am feeling quite accomplished with it all. I got all my syllabuses... or however you spell it, and met my Topics of History teacher. The history class will be in session for two weeks, two hours a day (Monday through Friday). I am actually excited about reading the novels that she has assigned, due to the fact that they are about Zambian and African history.

Also, today we learned about team building and leadership, insurance, and how not to be an easy target for people who would take advantage of the touristy-look that we will probably have. I thought it was interesting to know that when people want your money or your luggage while in the airport, thieves can travel in groups so that one can distract while the other grabs the goods. One story in particular that they talked about was when there is a wallet on the ground and a passerby picks it up, not to claim it but to see who it belongs to, the thief will come and demand to be paid the money that the passerby 'stole' out of the wallet. Clever. The passerby can't prove that he didn't take the 200 dollars that was supposedly in the wallet, even though the passerby didn't even open it, and therefore has to shell out the 200 from his own wallet unless he wants trouble. Lesson learned: leave lonely wallets alone in airports and let the security pick it up. And don't get distracted. Not that I am paranoid or anything, but it's better to be cautious than carefree.

All the information was a bit overwhelming now to think back on it. I recieved four syllabuses in about ten seconds. Whew!

More meetings tomorrow - same time same place. New set of information. Can't wait!!

I still have to make a few visits to some of my friends, so I had better get at it!

1 comment:

  1. Yay team-building!! That's always fun. I hope it went well. I'm so excited for all of your adventures ahead.

    Oh, and I think it's syllabi. Like Octopus=octopi and cactus=cacti.

    ReplyDelete