Saturday, September 12, 2009

First few hours in Choma, Zambia

I am finally in Choma, Zambia!! The internet is very slow with about 10 people using it at the same time. Patience is a virtue. The guest house is very nice and roomy. I like the tiger rug that is hanging on the wall in the living/dining area. Good news – all my luggage arrived safely, no flat tires on the 2 hour stretch of dirt road, no lost passports or money, and nothing stolen (that I know of). Altogether an enjoyable flight. I especially liked the international plane ride, a 15 hour flight, but I could watch a lot of movies and TV episodes to my heart’s desire. I ended up watching 17 Again, Fighting, and parts of Australia, and Star Trek as well as listening to Taylor Swift. It was fun. The only part that wasn’t fun was the leg cramps, but that passed.

the leg cramps, but that passed.

While going through the road that led to Zimba from Livingstone, Zambia, we saw a lot of people walking on or next to the road. There were a few cows wondering around, and some were being herded by their masters. When we passed little kids, they would wave and smile at us, very excited to see us. There was one small group of guys traveling who whistled at us and blew kisses. And, of course, we gave them no encouragement and just lost eye contact.

I had my first taste of Nshima tonight – the finely ground up corn that is tasteless. We were trying to compare it to something, and thought that it looked like play-dough. Kindof. More like drying mashed potatoes. The chicken was amazing and there was also salad and cooked green beans. They told us that, ceremonially, they wash their hands right before getting their food and right after. Which is understandable, considering your hands can get easily dirty and, after eating Nshima (which is sticky) you want to wash your hands again. Also, it was kindof hard for me, believe it or not, to leave that little bit of food on my plate out of politeness. I have been taught to eat my food and clean my plate, which I normally do. However, it is polite to leave a little bit of food here to show the cooks that you are full and satisfied. But, if you’re plate is clean, that means that you want or need more. But, I dutifully left a little chicken and salad to fulfill this custom.

Now it’s off to church in the morning! And getting introduced to a lot of people!

I think that I need to pick a different internet time… or just check my e-mail for about an hour at a time. And fuses have been blown – two so far. Ah, well J.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got to your destination safely, Alyssa. It sounds like a very exciting place with lots of new experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your blog today to the group at Jan and Dale's. We all love you and are so proud of you. Love MOM

    ReplyDelete