Saturday, October 31, 2009

Guest House


I have realized recently that I have failed to show where I live here while I am staying in Africa. Above is a picture of the guest house that we are all staying at. It is very nice and we all call it our 'home away from home'. It is always nice to be greeted by the knowledge that we have a stable place to call home in Africa, and a household staff that is just like family when we get back from traveling a long distance or when we come back from a two + day overnight trip.

Here are a few of us lounging in the living room. The kitchen is the bright door on the right, and the tv is on the very left. There is a long table that the meals are served on right behind the chairs on the left. And that is pretty much the living room. I am actually in this picture, but you can't see my face. Just my watch and water bottle.

This is my room. I sleep on the upper right bunk bed. We use that fan every day - 100 degree weather is HOT. We were already sweating by 9am this morning. By this time in our stay here, our mosquito nets have a lot of holes in them, so we have to sew them up. Good thing I have been equipped with that sewing kit my grandma and mom made for me when I was a freshman in college.


Here is a little bit of what Africa looks like in the Bush waaaaay out there. The huts on both sides of the brick building could be used as a kitchen, meeting place, or just a place to hide from the sun in the heat of the day. More than likely, the brick building in the middle is the house used for sleeping and escaping the hot sun. The sun is quite intense here... we are all wondering when the rainy season will start!

Enjoy the pictures! I have a lot of work to do today, so I had better get on to writing those papers!

2 comments:

  1. Thank-you Alyssa. It helps me to picture where you are when you are calling the compound home. Looks like a very nice place compared to the little house in the dust. How can they live in such a sparce place. Hope your studies are going well. Love MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is great! Sorry I haven't commented much. Now that I am unemployed, I have much more time. I can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete